Man in his 20s becomes one of Australia’s youngest Covid-19 deaths – News Vibe24

    Man in his 20s becomes one of Australia's youngest Covid-19 deaths - Times of India
    SYDNEY: Australia’s New South Wales reported one of the country’s youngest deaths from Covid-19 on Wednesday, as daily infections remained near the 16-month high despite the exclusion of 5 million people in Sydney entering their sixth week.
    The anonymous man in his 20s, who had no underlying health problems and was not vaccinated, died at his home in the city, authorities said. He quickly deteriorated after previously complaining of mild symptoms, they added.
    The man was not eligible for the Pfizer vaccine, as Australia restricts this type to people over the age of 40 due to limited supplies, while Canberra only recently told people to get the AstraZeneca vaccine as the cases swell, having previously been limited to people over 60 years.
    The death underscores the danger facing Australia’s largest city, which is struggling to contain an outbreak of the highly contagious Delta variant when less than 20% of Sydney residents are vaccinated.
    Last year, the neighboring state of Victoria said an anonymous man, also in his 20s, had died from Covid-19, although a medical examiner is still investigating the exact cause of death.
    It was not clear if the Sydney man had the Delta coronavirus variant, but most of the latest cases in New South Wales were of this type. Early indications are that Delta is more contagious and is likely to have more serious effects than previous variants of the coronavirus, although other experts have warned that more findings are needed.
    The young man was one of two Covid-19 deaths reported in New South Wales in the past 24 hours. New South Wales also recorded 233 new cases, close to the 16-month high reported last week, and state Prime Minister Gladys Beretziklian said the number of cases was likely to rise.
    “I do not rule out that the number of cases will not worsen, I think they will get worse,” Beretziklian told reporters in Sydney, the capital of New South Wales.
    “If you look at the number of infected people in the community, it shows that we may not have reached our peak.”
    At least 68 of the 233 new cases were not in isolation for their entire infectious period.
    Intense pressure
    Beretziklian is under intense pressure to ease travel restrictions that threaten to lead Australia to its second recession in so many years. However, he said at least 50% of the state’s population should be vaccinated to reduce curbs by the end of August.
    Still, many remain skeptical about receiving the AstraZeneca vaccine, the most abundant of the two vaccines approved in the country, due to a rare blood clotting problem.
    In addition, government models released Tuesday showed that at least 70% of the state’s population should be vaccinated to slow the spread.
    The model also showed that Australia should intensify vaccinations of younger people, who tend to transmit the virus more often but cannot obtain a Pfizer vaccine.
    Authorities have warned people not to expect an increase in Pfizer stocks expected next month, as case numbers prove difficult to contain and sewage tests show the coronavirus may have spread north.
    New South Wales has taken aggressive countermeasures to stop the spread of the coronavirus, including sealing high-risk suburbs, and urging the military to help police enforce the lockout rules.
    A total of 17 people died in Sydney during the current epidemic that started on June 16. During this period, the outbreak has led to a total of more than 4,000 cases in New South Wales.
    Nationwide, Australia has recorded 927 deaths since the pandemic began, with just over 35,000 cases from an estimated 25 million people.
    Queensland on Wednesday reported 16 local acquisitions, the same as the previous day, prompting authorities to declare it the worst outbreak since the start of the pandemic and warning that the blockade in the capital Brisbane could be extended beyond Sunday.
    “If we do not do something really, really, really special in Queensland, we will extend the blockade,” Queensland Chief Health Officer Janet Young told reporters in Brisbane.

    .

    Newsvibe24 Source