Australia’s largest city Sydney locks down for third week – News Vibe24

    Australia's largest city Sydney locks down for third week - Times of India
    CANEMBRA, Australia: Sydney’s two-week lockout has been extended for another week due to the vulnerability of a largely unvaccinated Australian population to COVID-19, officials said on Wednesday.
    “The situation we are in now is largely because we have not been able to get the vaccine we need,” said New South Wales Health Minister Brad Hazard.
    The decision to extend the lock until July 16 was made following health advice, Prime Minister Gladys Berikiklian said.
    “The reason we extended the lock is because some cases are still contagious in the community and we extended the lock to give us the best chance of not having another lock,” Berejiklian said.
    The extension of the lock, which covers Australia’s largest city and some neighboring communities, means that most children will not return to school next week after the mid-year break.
    Of the 27 new delta-type infections reported in the last 24-hour period on Wednesday, only 13 were isolated and contagious, officials said. The delta variant is considered more contagious than the original Qur’an or other variants.
    Only 9% of Australian adults are fully vaccinated, raising fears that the delta variant could quickly spread beyond control.
    The expected exclusion of Berejiklian would no longer be necessary once the vast majority of Australians were vaccinated.
    There were more than 300 infections associated with a limousine driver, which tested positive on June 16. He is thought to have been infected while transporting a US flight crew from Sydney Airport.
    Last week, nearly half Australia’s population was locked up with cities on the east, west and north coasts tightening pandemic restrictions due to clusters. Some of these locks were as short as three days.
    Sydney and its environs is the only part of Australia still locked.
    Australia has been relatively successful in reducing clusters throughout the pandemic, recording less than 31,000 cases and 910 deaths in total.
    Australia has recorded only one COVID-19 death since October: an 80-year-old man who died in April after being infected abroad and diagnosed in a hotel quarantine.
    But there are now 37 cases of COVID-19 in Sydney hospitals. Of these, seven are in intensive care, the youngest in their 30s.

    .

    Newsvibe24 Source