4 more bodies recovered from Florida condo collapse site – News Vibe24

    4 more bodies recovered from Florida condo collapse site - Times of India
    SURFACE: Four more victims have been found in the rubble at the site of the collapse of Florida condominiums, bringing the death toll to 36, a fire official said on Tuesday.
    Miami-Dade fire chief Raide Jadallah told families that the number of bodies recovered on Tuesday – eight in all – was the highest in a day since the June 24 crash.
    Crews in yellow helmets and blue overalls searched for debris for a 13-day day, while wind and rain from outside Tropical Storm Elsa complicated their efforts. Video released by the Miami-Dade County Fire Rescue Department showed workers pulling pickaxes and electric saws through piles of concrete trash with steel spines. Other researchers could see gloves digging through powdered concrete and throwing shovels of debris into large bins.
    Search and rescue workers continued to search open spaces where people could be found alive almost two weeks after the disaster at the Champlain Towers South building in Surfside.
    “We are actively seeking as aggressive as we can,” Miami-Dade County fire chief Alan Cominsky told a news conference. But he added: “Unfortunately, we do not see anything positive. The basic things – empty spaces, living spaces – we do not see anything like that.”
    While officials continue to hail the search and rescue operation, Miami-Dand Mayor Daniela Levin Kava said the families of those still missing were preparing for news of a “tragic loss.”
    “I think everyone will be ready when it comes time to move on to the next phase,” said Levine Cava, who stressed that the crews would use the same care as those passing through the rubble, even as their focus changes from the search for survivors in the recovery of the dead.
    “Really, you will not see the difference,” he said. “We will carefully search for corpses and objects, and we will record and treat with respect any remains we find.”
    No one was rescued alive from the first hours after the collapse, which struck on June 24, when many of the building’s occupants were asleep.
    Officials said on Tuesday that four more bodies had been found in the wreckage, bringing the death toll to 32.
    As many as 113 people remain unaccounted for, although only 70 of them are confirmed to have been inside the building when it collapsed, Levine Cava said.
    The intense weather from Elsa threatened to hinder the search efforts. The thunderstorm forced rescuers to stop work for two hours early Tuesday, said Miami-Dand Assistant Fire Chief Raide Yadala. And strong winds of 20 mph (32 km / h), with stronger gusts, hampered efforts to move heavy debris with cranes, officials said.
    However, heavier winds and rainstorms were expected to overtake Surfside and neighboring Miami as Elsa strengthened before landing somewhere between Tampa Bay and Florida’s Big Bend on a North Florida trail.
    “Active search and rescue continued throughout the night, and these teams continue through extremely difficult and difficult conditions,” said Levine Cava. “Through the rain and the wind, they kept searching.”
    Crews have removed 124 tonnes (112 metric tonnes) of debris from the site, Cominsky said.
    Workers were freed to look for a wider area as the unstable rest of the condo building collapsed on Sunday amid fears the structure could collapse. Officials said the demolition gave rescuers access to previously closed areas, including bedrooms where people are believed to be sleeping at the time of the disaster.

    .

    Newsvibe24 Source